Tuesday 1 January 2008

Reflections over 2007

I've spent a few days thinking about 2007, and pondering over 2008. 2007 was possibly the busiest most manic year of my life so far. In many ways it has been very fulfilling, and in other ways sad and disappointing. But mostly, its been busy. 2008 will be a very different year for our family. Our business is closing, we have no plans for future income, we are hoping to sell our house and go travelling within the next 12 weeks. So 2008 offers many possibilities, but what I would like more than anything from it, is to bond closer with my gorgeous family. To spend more time with them, and to experience many adventures together. I also hope for a peaceful year, and to make some new special friends.

So while I've been pondering over all of this, I got to thinking about 2007. I started writing a list of things that I remember from the year, and now I realise why I feel so utterly shattered, and as if I have just reached the end of a year long marathon! Here are some of the memories I hold from 2007....

The highlight of my entire year was no doubt, the Apoclayptica concert. This evening was far more than entertainment. It blew my mind. But I wont harp on about it as I already devoted a post to that (which, may I add, was featured on an Apocalyptica website!)

At the start of the year we were still home educating Annabelle.

We introduced the idea of The Red Plate which has worked well for us all year and is still in regular use.

I attended my first Tinnitus appointment in an attempt to work out what was wrong with me.

We left the fellowship which I'd been attending since the age of 4 ad were criticised by Dan's family and shunned by our friends.

I started sprouting, milling, making my own bread and researching raw food lifestyles.

We took day trips to W5, Castle Espie, Gosford Forest Park, the Aquarium, Newcastle, and Hillsborough Lake, and the World of Owls in Ransdalstown (amoungst many others I'm sure)

I started my 2nd term of bellydancing and took on an extra course.

I was emailed on two ocassions and asked to go on Wife Swap!! (and refused both times!)

I had an MRI scan of my brain which turned out to be the most horrifying ordeal of my life so far! Realised how badly claustrophobic I am and spent the rest of the year finding more and more situations unbearable (such as sitting in window seats on buses or planes).

I bought a new dehydrator and began making my own cereals, crakers and dried raw foods.

Went to see the Belfast Giants Ice Hockey match.

Went to see the Russian Circus at the Waterfront Hall.
Raised money to feed Tinkhani in Zambia (thanks to readers of my blog.)
I started working 2 - 3 days a week in Dans shop.
Annabelle started full time school again.
We started our 2nd year of vegetable gardening.
Dan bought me a beautiful new engagement ring and re-proposed to me.
We took a family weekend break in Derry and had the best family weekend ever.
I went to Dubai on my own for a week (and what a week it was!)

I had a carotid dopler scan on my neck which revealed the reason for my pulsatile tinnitus.
I started using a white noise hearing aid.
I performed in my first belly dance (the fan dance at the Hafla in the Radison Hotel)
We started planning for our 2008 trip.
I danced at the Belfast Dance In The Park show.
I fell down the stairs, broke my toes and spent 12 weeks on crutches.

Jimmie turned 12 years old and got his first girlfriend.
I danced in 3 dances at the Golden Camels Awards and learnt how to dance and play the sagats.
Dan and I attended the Burlesque Night in Belfast.
Barney developed an obsession for Hama Beading and cost me a fortune in beads.
Barney turned 4.
Annabelle turned 11.
I took a trip to England to see old friends and meet Tabi's twin girls.
Dan took a trip to Latvia and had the time of his life.
Hannah's Hen Party.
Hannah & David got married and we were all bridesmaids, flower girls, page boys or groomsmen.

I performed my first (gothic) solo belly dance at the Blood & Glitter show in Laverys.
I took a trip to England to see HIM in concert.
I went to London and met my friend Neil.
I got my tongue pierced.
Dan and I took a weekend in Dublin to see Apocalyptica.

We celebrated another Christmas.
I turned 31.

Here is my favourite photos from this year...












2 comments:

  1. There cant be many people who have as busy a life as that. Love the idea of doing a reflective summary of the year, maybe I will do that, I usually write my 'goals' for the year ahead but writing a summary of the previous year would help to recognise one's achievements and pat oneself on the back! Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I should do that too excpet my memory is so flipping awfull I cant remember anything about my life that happened more than an hour ago! hannah

    ReplyDelete