Sunday 11 March 2007

No kids, lots of romance, and a surprise

We have had a lovely weekend without any kids. My sis J took them for 2 whole nights (poor girl, did she know what she was doing?) I was determined to relax, despite the fact that I have so much that needs to be done in the garden. I drove them to J's house on Friday. Barney was very excited about his first official sleepover, and barely looked back to say good bye to me. When I got home on Friday night Dan had a big bubble bath waiting for me! He's so romantic, lol, not at all like me. While I was in the bath he cooked a gorgeous 3 course meal. He had changed the kitchen around so that there was a table for two all laid out in the middle of it, complete with candles and music. He cooked me a steak. Apart from the steak pie I had with my Caroline the other days its probably the first meat I've eaten in months.

After we had eaten he said he had something to tell me, and I immediately got nervous, thinking he was going to come out with some life changing decision he'd made - a new job, moving countries, that sort of thing. Instead he produced a ring. A beautiful diamond ring. When we first got engaged, 14 years ago, we had no money. We were very happy to be together and didn't care about expensive rings. But over the years I've hinted occasionally that I would like a nice ring. Dan has been on the look out for the perfect ring for months. He knows exactly what I like, something simple, nothing too big (I have very skinny fingers and big rings look daft on me). He had scowered the shops for months looking for my ring. He gave it to me, on one knee (!!!!!) and asked me to spend another 13 years married to me. Isn't he a love? Needless to say I was a blubbering mess.

Dan had to work on Saturday and I made sure that I kept to my promise of doing nothing. I lounged around, spent time on the computer, watched videos and ate junk food. It was heavenly. I haven't done that since I was a teenager. Then when Dan got home from work he cooked me another meal (he likes to cook - for relaxation - I'm not a slave driver!) This time it was curry, rive, poppadoms, the whole caboodle. (My guts are going to pay for all this meat, I just know it). We lit a fire and watched TV, without the constant interruption of kids requiring things.


I feel very relaxed now. Ready to take on the world with the new week. In minute we are going out for lunch, then for a walk, before we collect our darling children. Here's a big thank you to little sis J and her 3 gorgeous daughters, for entertaining, feeding, and caring for our brood for the weekend. We shall soon return the favour. We promise. There, you have it in writing!
Here's a pic of the ring, taken on the web cam, hence the bad quality and focus.

6 comments:

  1. As well as your sister's marriage proposal, that's one of the most romantic things I've heard, and all the more so considering the way relationships are going nowadays. I am exceptionally happy for you!!! Maybe one day there will be another wee gem out there looking for an old antique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky! it sounds like you had the perfect wknd, and how romantic. i was brought a flashing rose this wknd but by a friend so thats the height of romance for me!! the ring looks lovely i think its good that you are honouring the love that you have in such a way. plus if it looks that nice why not?! hope that the relaxing time helped ur ear xxx L xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids have been really good, and have had lots of fun. I thought I knew what I was letting myself in for since I have 3 kids. I just thought it will be double what it usually is, but I forgot to account for the fact that Luke is more hard work than all the other five put together!!! Lol! The dishwasher is now doing it's 6th wash in 2 days! I have to do 2 loads of clothes washing all over again because someone knocked over my whole pile of washed, dried and folded washing into the Guinea Pig poo and wee! I have been wandering round all weekend because there's nowhere to sit! There are kids everywhere! I can't even get on a loo! I feel like Miss Hanigan from Annie!

    But it's all been sooooo worth it to read your blog and see how special your weekend has been! Steve is such a romantic! Not surprised you were blubbering! I even shed a wee tear just reading about it!

    Love J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get him? They don't breed them like that in the colonies!
    Hey, my hubby has just walked in and is asking if Dan could give him some lessons!!!
    I think he's beyond repair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just another 13 years? No longer?
    Dh and I celebrate 16 years next month. It sure doesn't seem like that long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That ring is just beautiful!! What a romantic husband you have. I'm glad that you had such a great weekend. Hubby and I get a night to ourselves once in a while, that I do treasure.

    ReplyDelete