Wednesday 9 January 2008

The terrific buisness of planning a 6 month trip in just 3 weeks


Well, since deciding finally to take this trip across America life has suddenly hurtled into fast motion. In all honesty, I thought life could be no busier than it already was. How wrong I was!

Half way through packing our lifes contents into boxes to go into storage, Dan decides that we should not worry about packing the home up. We should leave it on the market and if it sells we will worry about getting a company to pack it all up, but if it doesn't, we have a home to come back to. I already have about 40 boxes and bin bags of items to sell - things we don't want or need any more. But it looks like I dont need to pack up the entire house, for the mean time.

This afternoon the big kids are taking boxes into their bedrooms in order to clear out anything they can sell. Once Dan's shop is closed he is going to use the premises for a week or so, to sell all our unwanted posessions. I have lurred the kids with the promise of the funds paying for a little trip to Disneyland in Florida, and all of a sudden they have whole bedrooms full of things they dont want any more!

On the 15th January we have appointments to get American travel visas. Because we are travelling for more than 90 days we each need a special visa. We have to proove that we intend to return home after 6 months. In order to do this I need letters from the kids schools saying that their places are being kept for them, travel insurance to cover a 6 month period (I sorted this out this morning), proof that we own a home here, and bank statements proving that we have enough money to cover our trip, plus proof that we have hired an RV for the intened amount of time, and that we have tickets to come home again. The tickets home is a bit tough as I dont intend to purchase any tickets until we have the visas.

I am desperately trying to organise a visit to my death row penpal in Georgia whilst we are there, but really dont have a clue whether we will be able to organise this in time. I kind lady who lives nearby has offered to help me organise this. Apparently the prisons offer special extended weekend visits for people who have travelled overseas. I know that E will be gutted if we are in his state and dont manage a visit. We both know it will be the only chance we ever have to meet, and since we have been writing once a week for over 2 years now, it would be such a shame.

Well, I really dont have the time to sit here blogging. Lol. As much as I'd like to. I am thinking of starting a travel blog dedicated just to the trip rather than filling our family blog up with it. I'm not sure yet though.

Let me leave you with a few photos of some of the truly amazing places we intend to visit....






3 comments:

  1. Ooooh I am jealous already! When do you go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant believe you'll be away for six months. It will be like a lifetime. david has been to most of those places so you could get some advice from him if you need any. We are hoping to take the familyn out for dinner before you go as a thankyou for all the support over the last 5 or so years so can you let us know when you're free.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to have the best time!!! I'm so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete