Thursday 29 March 2007

My first day at work

Today was my first official day at work! Yes it was. Ok, its not that exciting. I was just working in Dan's shop. But it's my official new part time job. And I loved it. It was so nice to be away from the hassles of every day home life, just for a break. And I know that Dan enjoyed being at home with the kids. He even baked cupcakes with Barney! When I got home from work he had made a four course almost raw meal! Go boy! I think I might go full time. When I say four courses, well, course one was raspberry smoothie, course two was salad with sprouts and baked potato, course three was Barneys cupcakes, and course four was chocolate fondue with lots of fruits. I couldn't eat that bit, but I enjoyed watching the kids enjoy it.





The kids enjoying fondue with Daddy.











Luke took this photo of me this evening.















This is a silly pic of me talking on web cam to Dan! I took a photo of myself. One of those silly moments.







I had a slight worry today. Dan phoned me to say that my friend on death row in America had tried to phone me. He only phones once a year, when its pre-arranged, because it costs me £60 ($120) to accept a collect call from him. So when he phoned unexpectedly it got me worried. Dan didn't accept the call because I wasn't at home anyway. My mind started racing when he told me. I thought that something could be wrong. The panic made me realise how awful it is going to be if or when he receives his execution date.

I mustered up enough courage to phone the prison in Georgia. I phoned once before and got a horrible woman who was no help at all. But this time I explained the situation, that I was phoning from Ireland and it costs me $120 to receive his calls, and the lovely girl put me through to E's councilor. He was a lovely guy and he wrote a message down for me and promised to take it straight to my friend. I was impressed by the amount of respect he had for my death row pal. He assured me that he is not unwell and that he has not received his date yet, so that relieved me. I am glad to know that E will get a message from me and that all is well. Funnily enough I was writing a letter to him at the time he phoned.

3 comments:

  1. Golly thats an exhorbitant charge for a phone call, thats more than my entire bill for calls a year !
    I can only say that your compassion is an example to us all, and I admire and respect you for it. Would'nt we all want a friend like you if we were in a desparate situation. God bless, never stop doing unto others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bree
    I'm delighted to hear that you're now in charge of the top music emporium in Banbridge. I'm sorry to say I've been very disappointed with your husband's service recently. I'm desperately searching for Gus Dudgeon & the Country Hackers 1976 LP 'I'm in love with my Massey Ferguson'. I should stress that it must be the issue with the inverted matrix number. I'll be in three times a day for the rest of the year to check and I'll also show you my bus ticket collection too. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, good for you, on the part time job!! Was the interview process a tough one?? hehe

    I hope things with your friend on death row are okay.

    ReplyDelete