Wednesday 14 March 2007

Photos - gardening and sprouting

Here are just some photos of things we've been busy with this week.


Dan very kindly took this fetching photo of me, digging in the garden, sporting a beautiful pair of pink welly boots, and all my designer gardening apparel. Little Barney helped me feed the plants and dig the holes.





























This week I sprouted a ton of wheat, to make Essene bread with. I made the bread this evening and it is now dehydrating for about 16 hours. Sprouted wheat berries taste very sweet. Dan has been eating them in the morning for breakfast, either in milk or yogurt.








Here is Barney playing in the garage with my 4 large barrels of grains. They contain wheat, rye, oats and barley.































Today I started chitting the potatoes that I ordered. There are 4 varieties, and they are all organic. I have no idea where I'm going to plant them yet. For a while they will sit in the garage growing some roots for planting. Dan had to make me a make-shift table on top of his cds to put these on.







I am growing sunflower greens for the first time. If we like them I hope to grow them constantly. They are basically mini sunflowers, grown in a tray. When they grow to a few inches tall they will be harvested, and eaten raw like spinach leaves, in salads. It costs about 12p to grow a tray of these.






A few weeks back Barney and Annabelle planted some tomato seeds. Here they are, growing in our utility room at present.

8 comments:

  1. Very fetching boots Bree! I bet they look great on Wisteria Lane!
    PS What does 'chitting' mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowowow! I would love to have the ability, skill, patience and motivation to do half the things you do with food! I feel proud of myself when I manage to resist the temptation of ordering take away and rustle up a sloppy bowl of pasta or bangers and mash, let alone organically home growing, sprouting, milling, baking and dehydrating! I take my hat off to you!

    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a thought. Yep, it happens sometimes! If you wanted people to know your real names without others being able to google you, you could take a photo of the family and then use a draw program to draw everyone's names on them on the photo! xJx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hazel

    Is there any end to your talents. I really admire what you are doing and more importantly teaching your children the importance of healthy food.

    Luv Sandra, Keri and David

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a blooming marvel. I dont know how you fit it all in and still find time to blog about it.
    More power to your elbow
    Sounds as though you'll need some more bins, or large plastic pots to layer your spuds in , in compost, or all your space will go , or you'll have to dig your lawn up lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your wellies better than mine. Mine look quite dull in comparion lol.
    D

    ReplyDelete