Monday 21 July 2008

Feeling the stress

The last few days have been a bit of a bummer, to say the least. On Friday some good friends of ours came to visit. It was great to see them again after so many months, but the exhertion of entertaining them (not that I lifted a finger really) sent me to bed that night with the start of a migraine. It seems that my high blood pressure doesn't affect me if I sit at home and do nothing. But as soon as I have guests, go out somewhere, or try to do anything other than rest, my blood pressure shoots up and I end up in bed with a migraine. I can't even get to Tesco's for some shopping without two days of sleep afterwards. So after our friends left I spent two full days in bed, with vomitting, the banging splitting head feeling, and severly disturbed vision and sensitivity to light. Dan tried to blacken out the windo in our bedroom but I still had to put a blindfold over my eyes. Today I made it out of bed and have been ok, even managing some housework and cooking.

But this afternoon I received a call from a midwife at my hospital. She said that the blood tests they'd taken on my last visit showed antibodies in my blood. I am rhesus negitive and Dan is rhesus positive, so theres always a risk of my body having difficulties with a rhesus positive baby. Out of the 3 kids I've had so far, only one of them was rhesus positive like their father. Us rhesus negative blood groups are a rarer type and I usually have to endure anti-D injections after the babies are born. Anyway, the midwife said they needed to see Dan at the hospital to test his blood. They asked me if he had ever had any blood transfusions (which he has) and asked me to send him in for some tests. The midwife wouldn't say much more about it, and all I know is that my body can fight a rhesus positive baby if there are antibodies present. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they say when we visit.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Well we were going to ask you all up here but you've no car, Dan is working 24/7 and you might well collapse in a heap in our hall.
    So we might leave it for a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, I know that feeling all too well - but for less pleasant reasons than carrying a new life! Hope it eases up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete