Saturday 12 July 2008

Baby names

Doesn't everyone like a good chat about baby names? Well, women do at least. Especially mothers or expectant mothers. It's amazing how a group of women can while away the hours discussing names for the protruding bump. I am no exception. I do like to come up with my short list of baby names well before the baby is born. That way I have time to mull over the names in my head and decide whether they will stand the test of time, and am less likely to name my baby something I'd forever regret. I also have childhood memories of my littlest sister, who remained nameless for 6 weeks after birth because she was supposed to be a boy and my parents had run out of girls names.

I've received quite a few emails now asking about baby names so I thought I'd throw them out here onto the net for your perusal and comments. Please feel free to suggest any other names you feel are apt. I've received a good few suggestions based on the fact that our baby was conceived out in the deserts of New Mexico on our travels, names such as Sandy. So feel free to suggest names along those lines too, although I can't promise that I'll choose any of them!

No, we don't know the sex of the baby. We have never asked the sex of our babies and I highly doubt we will this time. I do like to hear my husbands emotional tear-jerked voice announce "its a boy/girl" at the end of all that damn hard work.

So here is our shortlist, so far. Basically if its a girl its probably going to be named either Emily or Zoe, with the middle name of Grace, Rose or Skye. Our family is unanimously agreed on that one, so I doubt any newer suggestions are going to tempt us away. But do go ahead and try. Our boys name list on the other hand is longer, and far less definite. I have so far used my favourite boys names and have a hard time finding any that I like as much as the ones I've already used up. But the shortlist so far include ....

Charlie, Jack, Oliver, Harry, Jamie, Henry, Rhys, Tyler, Harvey, Harley, and Joel. This list is set to change dramatically as the weeks pass. With additions and subtractions along the way. At this point let me say that our three children have biblical names so far, but this is purely coincidental. Samuel, Jude and Luke are biblical names, but were not chosen because of this. So non biblical names are perfectly fine. But one thing is for sure, I'm not calling it Randy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you made me laugh out loud, about not naming him Randy!!!

    I love the girl names. Emily Grace would be such a beautiful name!! Boy names are harder to come up with I think. We cheated and did Michael III, lol. Well, since you found out the news here, how about Baker, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my suggestion didn't even make the shortlist, so you can just think up your own names. Hmmmpphhh.

    ReplyDelete