Friday 9 February 2007

New dehydrator, new food!

For our wedding anniversary (13 years - on the 12th Feb) we have bought each other a dehydrator. I've wanted one for over a year but they are so expensive here, and so we had to buy one from the US and get it shipped over (under half the price of buying one here - even with customs!) I bought this one. It arrived this week and I've been reading all my raw food 'un-cook' books to work out what to make in it. The idea behind dehydrating food is that it is slowly 'sun-dried' at a slow speed and a low temperature, therefore keeping all the nutrients in it alive, and raw. We have been eating raw for about a month now, about 80% of the time. But it is nice to have something hearty with our salads and fruits. This is where the dehydrator comes in.

Here are some photos of my first dehydration attempts. I will post more about it on my food blog at a later time.




Raw chocolate cookies.




Raw coconut, almond and oats cereal bars. (These were really yummy!)
This is the granola breakfast cereal which is in the dehydrator at the moment. This is a photo of it before it went in. It contains oats, sprouted buckwheat, raisins, honey, and almonds (amongst other things).
This was my first attempt at the raw onion bread. I had to substitute sunflower seeds with pumpkin seeds and I didn't grind them up as much as I should have. I will cut this slab into crackers to eat with salad. I have some more dehydrating now, which is smoother and has sunflower seeds in. This is made from onion, flax seeds, sunflower seeds.

2 comments:

  1. Oh are you taking weekly orders yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, I know how much you have wanted one!! I might have to get one for myself. I like the fruit roll ups, and those chocolate cookies look good too, hmmm lol!

    ReplyDelete