Monday 30 July 2007

Toe saga continued

It's Monday morning and I've done almost nothing for over 2 weeks now. Yes, it's been two weeks already since I broke my toes and it has proven to be quite a disability! I have been practically useless in every way. Poor Dan has had to do absolutely everything and is looking more than a little worn out. I still have a swelling the size of a golf ball on my bottom, and my foot is looking nastier every day! I have had to take the toe straps off because all of my toes went bright red, inflamed and extremely itchy at the weekend. This itch continued up across the front of my foot. Since it was the weekend the doctors weren't open, so Dan went to the chemist and they have given me some E45 cream, but I'm pretty sure that it's not treating the problem, just reducing the itch. Tomorrow I have a follow up appointment at A&E to see if the bone is healing correctly, so I will no doubt get some advice on the itching and the golf ball swelling while I am there. But the middle toe which was completely snapped is still bent to the left and has a large hard lump on it, which I presume is the bone. I do have some minor movement back in my toes. I can just about twitch them, just a millimetre or two, but it's promising. The biggest problem to me at the moment is standing. I can now get about on just one crutch (unless stairs or steps are involved) but I can't stand for longer than a few minutes as I start getting pins and needles, and shooting pains up my leg. Two weeks of doing nothing has played its tole on my body. I feel like I need to go on a huge detox and health mission, to be honest. I have done absolutely no exercise and as a result have water retention, lack of energy, bad sleep and I've probably put on a ton of weight. Ho hum.

On a good note... erm, oh hold on, I actually can't think of a good note to share with you all. Today I am trying to get back into the swing of things, very slowly, to make life a bit easier for Dan. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Poor baby. I don't mind looking after you in times of need, I am truly the luckiest man on the planet for having you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry honey, you will very quickly get your fitness back. I remember after my surgery last May I thought I would never be normal again. It took a good six months before I could do any sort of exercise especially on my torso. Even after a year I am only just able to return to abdominal exercises. The great thing is, it comes back and quite quickly so don't fret (dont forget I have a lot of years on you so you will be fine), enjoy the rest and make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a speedy recovery. I hope you get to feeling like yourself again very soon.

    What a sweet husband you have!! You are both very lucky to have each other!!

    ReplyDelete