Tuesday 3 April 2007

A quickie about sprouting & milling




I'm off to work in the shop in a moment, but I have 5 minutes left before I need to leave so I thought I'd load on these photos. Dan worked this morning, while I did the chores in the house that he's unsure about. I did loads of washing to start, then I got all the sprouts ready to grow, planted some more sunflower greens and made some bread. I've taken some 'before' photos of the sprouts so that I can show their progress. In the 3 tier sprouter we have alfalfa, broccoli and red clover. All yummy little green sprouts full of live giving nutrition. In the glass jar you can see a mix of biosnacky sprouts. They will soak overnight and then start growing tomorrow.
Every day Barney helps me make a loaf of bread. His reason for helping is that he loves eating the fresh flour as it comes out of the miller! Here he is scoffing his face with new flour.
I had to take this photo this morning when I found a moose brushing its teeth in my hallway! We're all so mature in our house. :)

7 comments:

  1. There's a moose loose aboot the hoose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re your MRI, doesn't surprise me at all. Common sense ... nil.
    Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moose is too funny!

    What kinds of seeds do you sprout, what do they taste like and where do you get them? I have a sprouter, that was given to me like 8 years ago, but I've hardly used it after the alfalfa was gone that it came with. you can e-mail me if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol - love it !
    I'llhave to come back and read this one , i'm falling asleep - off to bed now , I'll read more tomoz - love the milling thing , do tell us more ! what do you mill and where do i get a miller thingy ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol @ the moose!
    I've been inspired to start sprouting after reading your blog :0)
    I would like to know more about milling though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will do another blog post this week about milling, breadmaking and the benefits of making your own flower. I'll put some photos of the mill and the process on too. Im thinking of starting a website or something to promote milling and sprouting here in NI. I dont think anyone has anything like that here. I even thought about running a few classes to teach the basics.
    Anna, the seeds in that sprouter are biosnacky seeds. I buy them from the biosnacky website. They come in small packets, but each small packet will make at least 3 trays of full grown seed. I am going to take some more photos today to show the sprouts which are now ready to eat. I'll do another blog post for it.
    I get my sprouts from a range of sources. The smaller sprouts are mostly from biosnacky, but I get the larger sprouts from all over the place! Chick peas, lentils, sunflower seeds etc. Sprouted sunflower seeds are delicious. Steve likes sprouted aduki beans and lentils, although Im not as keen on them. We also like sprouted wheat berries too. Ok, I will do another blog post about all this! LOL. Its too much for a comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I cant spell flour. LOL. The shame!

    ReplyDelete