Monday 2 April 2007

MRI appointment

Well, I had it, my MRI results appointment. It seems I was mistaken about what the scan was for. The doctor told me that the MRI scan was looking for tumours in my ear, whereas I was under the impression that they were looking at the blood flow in my neck. Needless to say they didn't find any tumours in my ear. I could have told them that. I was quite annoyed after the appointment. The doctor told me that pulsatile tinnitus is caused by one of two things, both of which are very rare. Even though my symptoms match the rarest cause, they decided to test for the less rare thing - even though that test costs more, is more terrifying (claustrophobic) and is looking for something that doesn't match my symptoms. For goodness sake! When I asked the doctor why they had been looking for tumours when my symptoms match more with the vascular problem, he simply stated that it was because vascular tinnitus is much rarer. Ok, so it's rare, but someone must have it, right? Anyway, it seems I waited 2 months for an appointment to tell me that they now need to scan my neck. Why on earth didn't they just send me an appointment for the new scan, instead of making me wait to months to tell me that they would do it. It seems so simple to me. Am I the only one who can see it? Anyway, I was cross. At my very first doctors appointment, over a year ago, I was able to tell the doctor that the conditions is vascular, that it is something to do with my neck artery. But here I am, months and months later, being told, "Hmmm, it must be something to do with your artery". I know that the condition is vascular.... because it gets worse when my blood pressure goes up (if I eat salt, do exercise, get stressed), because it changes depending on which way I turn my neck. So, here I am, waiting again, waiting for another scan, this time to my neck. Ah for goodness sake.

3 comments:

  1. To think we have to trust these people with our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, how frustrating, sounds like another marathon till the next one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor bay very frustrating hope you get word real soon this time!

    ReplyDelete