Monday 16 April 2007

Midnight caller!

Last night the phone rang at 2.30am. Needless to say my heart skipped a beat as I thought something terrible must have happened to someone. It was the guy who works in our shop. The same guy who is covering for me in the shop while I go to Dubai (tomorrow!) for eight days. He was in a drunken stupor, asking to speak to Dan. I explained that Dan was fast asleep and he would have to speak to me. So he drunkenly explained that he will not be working in the shop any more and that we would have to find someone else to cover for my holiday. I was not amused. I talked to him for 5 minutes and listened to him whining on about lots of things (all of which basically boiled down to a drink problem). In the end I just told him to phone me back in the morning and I had to put the phone down in the end. Then I lay there all night worrying about who could possibly cover the shop for me. There actually isn't anyone that can do it. The only option we have is for Steve to run the shop with the kids with him all day (not ideal) or to shut it for eight days (also not ideal considering the cost of my trip and the money we need to take). Dan has gone round to speak with this guy this morning but I don't hold out much hope. I really don't actually want to give him the work if he is that unreliable. Oh dear, what to do. I leave tomorrow afternoon. I'm working in the shop today and am all packed and ready to leave. This has taken the edge off of the excitement somewhat though.

Edit - I am now happy to say that this person phoned me this morning and apologised profusely. He was mortified and embarrassed and is going to work the week, although he know that I will not put up with it again. So hes gonna be on his best behaviour. Phew!

2 comments:

  1. Phew wouldnt even cover it! What a pillava

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm glad that he'll work at the shop after all. I hope that doesn't happen again. He must have been having an off night. And, drinking never helps.

    ReplyDelete