Wednesday 9 May 2007

The question is, are we brave enough?

Well, there's been a lot to talk about here the last few days. As anyone working in the music industry will know, the whole CD business in general is slowly dieing a death. Music stores all across the nation are closing down and many owners are looking for new jobs or ways to make money. We are noticing a sure change in the amount of Cd's we are selling and will more than likely not keep the shop open once our contract is up in January. This is quite sad. For many years Dan has worked so hard to provide for his family in this way.

So we got to talking about what to do next. We decided that we have two options. 1) Feel sorry for ourselves, worry about the future, panic and generally stress. Or 2) See this change as a great opportunity. There have been so many things we have wanted to do but couldn't because of the tie of the shop and Dan being self employed. Come January we will not have these ties or any kind of responsibility, and will theoretically be looking for new jobs.

So why not take some time out? For years I've talked about selling everything and travelling around the world. But after talking with Dan this week we have come to realise that we wouldn't need to sell our home to do it. So what we are thinking about is freezing our mortgage for a year, renting out our house to a family, selling everything that is cluttering up our lives and taking off on a journey, with the kids for 8 months.

Why eight months? Well, in September 2008 Annabelle is due to start high school and Luke will be the age to start primary school (although we haven't yet decided to send him to school). What we are seriously considering is a big journey, by road, across a continent or two. We have so many ideas and feel a little scared by it all, but we've talked about it so much now that I really can't see us not doing it.

The question is where to go? At first I fancied a trip across Europe, and into either Asia or Africa (or both). I started researching on the Internet and found some fabulous sites recording journeys that people are currently undertaking.

The Africa Overland network contains hundreds of blogs written by people travelling across the world. Its an amazing read.

The possibilities of where to travel are endless and planning a trip like this would take months. We have 4 possibilities.

  1. Travel in campervan from Ireland, through the UK, into Europe stopping at as many countries as we please along the way (France, Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria, Norway, Denmark, Greece, Turkey - the possibilities are endless) and then travelling on into Asia through countries such as India, Nepal, China, Laos, Thailand and Malaysia.
  2. Travel in campervan from Ireland, through the UK, into Europe stopping at as many countries as we please along the way, and then travelling on into Africa (Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Kenya etc)
  3. Flying to America or Canada and travelling in RV across the Americas, (Alaska, Canada, various states of the US, Mexico) and then south into Guatemala Costa Rica, Panama, Peru, Brazil, Chile etc)
  4. Flying to Australia and spending 8 months driving across the whole of Australia.

Dan is keen to do the Americas. I wasn't at first but after looking into it the prospect is more appealing. We could fly there cheaper than Australia, and we could buy an RV there which we could sell before we leave. We would speak the language in the north and break ourselves in slowly. America is a vast land with every type of scenery and landscape and weather possible. Then travelling into the South we would see more exotic lands and different cultures.

I was more keen to travel through Europe, as there are so many countries to see, all vastly different, and then into Asia or Africa. Travelling by car to Asia or Africa un-nerves me a bit and I'm not sure I'm actually brave enough! Travelling to Australia would be the most costly, for the flights.

So we are not sure what we are doing. But one thing is for sure, life will be changing round here come Christmas time, and I'd prefer it changed for the better, into something exciting and adventurous. It's also just occured to me that I may well be able to meet with one of my prison pen pals on two of these journeys. That would be exciting!

So what do you all think?

13 comments:

  1. WOWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! GO GIRL! I am already jealous!!! I can't think of anything better! How exciting! Excellent idea. Can't wait to read those blogs from you in all the different places! We will miss you tho! Wow, wow and double WOW! All the best with planning it! Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO FOR IT! You'll never regret it and I'm excited for you. Europe is worth at least a year on it's own... Nepal is like no where you've ever been in your life... and Africa just gets under your skin! Brazil... Iguacu... oh heck, can I come too?! Call me an idealist, but I think we should pay 100% university fees for people who spend at least a year out of their home country, providing they spend at least 6/12 of that year volunteering for a charity. Great decision!!!!! Etta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say go for it, you only live once. What an education for the kids, what memories you'll all have,
    The americas sound the best bet for traveling with young children,Thats my choise, always wanted to see a real Rodeo, the Rockies, Grand Canyon, Mounties. Oh, lets all sell up and go in convoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fogot to mention the girls from Iponema. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think thats a brilliant idea, I know that H and I have discussed for a couple of years about the two of us leaving and travelling the world for a year or so,maybe in 2008/9 before the rat race pulls us in. I find it hard to believe that we actually will and we keep having to convince each other we will, so if you and your family can do it it will fill us with confidence that it can and should be done!
    I can't imagine you regretting it, as I've said to H, what is the more likely, that on your deathbed you will say "I'm so glad that I managed to work a 9-5 job for 40 years instead of 39" or "I'm so glad I saw the world and the experienced the glory of God's creation in my lifetime"!
    D.Mc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It sounds amazing! Very jelous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it sounds great! These sorts of life opportunities don't come along that often. You'd have to ensure that you still blogged!

    I shall watch your progress with interest; we're approaching a similar crossroads when it will be time for a major life decision... I shall take comfort from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds both scary and exciting at the same time! I vote for you coming to the USA.....I'd LOVE to meet you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fab and I think if you are in a position to go for it then you should. Why sit in your rocker aged 90 saying "I wish" when you could be saying "we did"? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! I haven't checked my emails for a few days cos wasn't expecting anything exciting!

    This is amazing news Hazel. Absolutely go for it 100%!! I'm so jealous. You're inspirational.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  11. That will be fantastic Hazel!
    We often talk of doing something like that when my husband's employee retires. I hope we do. Your kids will learn soooo much that just cannot be learnt in any room in Northern Ireland and the memories will last a lifetime!!! Go for it!!!
    Sheelagh

    ReplyDelete
  12. my word = wow , go for it :-)
    blog it and we can all join in :-)

    ReplyDelete