Wednesday 23 May 2007

Carotid artery doppler scan

For those that are waiting to hear, I had my scan today and I'm none the wiser yet. The doctor scanned both sides of my neck. I was able to see the images from the left side of my neck (the good side) but I had no idea what I was looking at. I couldn't see for the right side as I was facing the wall. Confusingly the doctor spent twice as long scanning the good side of my neck as he did with the problem side. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not. Perhaps there was something so obvious on the right hand side that he didn't need to look any further. Who knows? The scan machine made lots of gushing heartbeat sounds, which sound exactly the same as the noise in my ear. The doctor grunted, scratched his head, huffed and scanned a bit more. Then he said "right" - handed me a tissue to clean up all the goo "that's fine" and marched straight out of the room. The nurse then pointed me to a cubical to get changed again and I was on my way home. I have no idea whether he meant "that's fine, I can't see anything wrong", or "that's fine, I've gathered all the data I need to make a diagnosis". So I am none the wiser and will have to play the waiting game again until the next appointment with my consultant, whenever that may be.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how frustrating for you. Hope you get to see your consultant soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww hoping it's good news when you get the results and i hope you don't have to wait too long xx

    ReplyDelete