Tuesday 28 August 2007

Still broken footed and deaf

Grrr, this morning I had my 6 week review at the hospital, for my broken toes. I got there at 8.30am and was taken in for an x-ray. Then I stood (no seats left) for about 40 minutes and waited to be seen. My foot is still sore, but I'm not on crutches any more. It hurts if I stand too long, or if I knock my toes at all, but I expected them to tell my it was all fine and send me on my way home. To my surprise everything is not fine. Two of my toes are still broken. The doctor thought the x-ray he was looking at was my original one taken 6 weeks ago, but no it was today's x-ray. That explains why its still sore then. He said there is some mild improvement, but they are healing very slowly (I wonder if I did re-break them that time I stabbed my foot against the coffee table?) They are going to see me again in 8 weeks, but he warned me that it looks like they may not heal. I don't know if that means I will have two dead broken toes for the rest of my life, or if they will try to fix them. He has warned me against any belly dancing and told me to stop banging them against things. Easier said than done when you have feet like flippers. I nearly wet myself laughing when I told the doctor that I wanted to carry on belly dancing. He looked me up and down and seemed rather amused, till I realised he thought I'd said ballet dancing. Whahaha. Anyway, he said absolutely no belly dancing. I didn't tell him about the dance session I'd had in the kitchen yesterday to the tunes of Metallica, hehe.

Oh yes, I just remembered, I forgot to tell you about the appointment I had last week about my ears and the pulsatile tinnitus. You remember I had a scan on my neck some months back? Well, I finally had an appointment with the ENT consultant regarding that. The carotid artery in my neck is rather deformed and they seem sure that this is creating a kind of back lash of blood which is making a lot of noise, which is audible to me. They were most delighted to have found a cause for my symptoms, as most people never find out what is causing it. I thought the consultant was going to do a little dance of joy at one moment. Anyway, they could operate to fix the artery, but, the operation is so extremely risky that they would really only consider it if the tinnitus noises were making me suicidal (which they aren't, but I hear that can happen to some people). They are putting me in touch with a therapist who is supposed to be on call to counsel me when the noises are just too bad. I highly doubt I will ever avail of those services. But, I have an appointment next week at the hearing aid department. Yes, that's right, hearing aid. They want to try to fit this special hearing aid that emits a sound into the ear. The sound is at a pitch that works with the sound I'm already hearing. The theory is that the two noises cancel each other out, or that my ear is retrained to hear differently. It all sounds like utter nonsense to me, but hey, I may as well give it a try. It will be interesting if nothing else. On the positive side, I'm also getting a special pillow with inbuilt speakers that plug into an mp3 or cd player. Now this sounds cool. A musical pillow. The idea is that the speakers are audible to the person sleeping on them, but not the person next to you. The only problem will be chosing music that helps me sleep, rather than the heavy metal stuff I mostly listen to.

4 comments:

  1. I would suggest anything by Snorah Jones or Dream Academy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Wayne Sleep, he may be able to offer a little bit of advice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You poor thing, I hope those toes start to heal quicker, and soon! Wow, belly dancing to Metallica, that sounds fun, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the toes aren't quite better yet. :( Keep resting!

    ReplyDelete