Tuesday 3 October 2006

At the weekend I saw Jamie Oliver on TV making this breakfast on the go bread. I thought it looked lovely, and so simple to make. If Luke, aged 2, can make it then anyone can. Tomorrow we are going out for the day, birthday shopping for Luke, and so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to try this out. Now breakfast is made and we can eat it in the car on the way.

Firstly I made some bread dough, with freshly milled flour. My recipe didn't come out as light and fluffy as Jamie Oliver's, but I'm guessing that's due to the heavy wheat flour. It's more nutritious anyway.

I rolled out the dough into a long rectangle, after it had been left to sit for a while. Then placed pieces of parma ham along the length of it.

Then Luke decided to help, and he placed 6 boiled eggs along the length, and some fresh basil, which we picked from our herb garden. It was the last of the basil.
Luke rolled the dough around the eggs, and kept rolling until we had a sort of long sausage shape.

Then we squeezed it into a circle loaf, and tucked one end of dough into the other end of dough, to make a sort of ring.
Here is the ring, after I had rounded it off from Luke's attempt to completely squash it.
We let it sit for 20 minutes, and then baked it for half an hour in the oven.
And here is the final loaf of breakfast bread. We had to try some just to make sure it was edible. It was a big hit, and so simple to make. We'll be making this one again, but next time I will add more white bread flour to my wholemeal flour, to help the bread lighten up a bit.

4 comments:

  1. it was as yummy as its looks. I loved it

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm it looks great. i always think breakfast is such a boring meal. its nice to have some more interesting ideas to try out :)
    hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks soo delicious and easy to do. Good luck with your veg patch. I am growing my own too. The stuff tastes much better if you can get to them before the snails and slugs do. If you are looking for some more recipes have a look at my site www.foodwizard.yourpower2be.com I am sure there is something here you can use.
    Good Luck Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks intereting. If I had more counter space I might try it.......or maybe I could keep the table clean long enough to roll it out. Hummmm.....never thought of using the table, it's in the diningroom and out of sight and out of mind. Maybe I'll try rearranging to get it in the kitchen. Wonder if it will fit LOL!

    ReplyDelete