Monday 17 December 2007

Apocalyptica, Live in Dublin - best live band in the world!?

It's Monday morning and instead of getting on with the mountains of housework, or wrapping up of Christmas presents, I'm sitting at my computer listening to Apocalyptica, and writing a blog post about the most amazing weekend we had.

Dan and I travelled down to Dublin on Friday, for Saturday nights Apocalyptica gig. Unfortunately I'd developed a violent cold and was sneezing all the way down on the bus, with two lovely big purple eyes. Apocalyptica are one of my favourite bands (I have many though). They are a cello band from Finland, and consist of 4 cellists, and now a drummer (although he is a relatively new addition). They became famous for their heavy metal covers, particularly their cello versions of Metallica songs. But now days they are as well known for their own music, with the new album 'Worlds Collide' having guest singers from various bands including Slipknot, Lacuna Coil and Rammstein. We knew that this show would be good, different and unique, but we were both totally blown away with the whole evening.

The supporting act were Lacrimus Profundere. The singer from Lacrimus came out at the very end of the evening when there were just a few stragglers from the audience left. We met him and had a brief chat about his band. I think he was looking for groupies (he didn't have any trouble finding them) but I wasn't gonna throw myself at any guy just cos he's the singer on a not yet very famous band, so he soon got bored talking to me. Haha.

The Dublin show was the last gig of Apocalyptica's 2007 European tour and right from the second they appeared on stage we could tell it would be a good night. They looked exhilarated and excited about their last gig of the year and the audience picked up on this straight away. The vibe in the audience was just hiving. The band had a look of almost disbelief as they performed and experienced for the first time the appreciation of an Irish crowd (I've always found Irish audiences, north or south, to be amazing enthusiastic audiences compared to the brits). They promised they'd be back to Ireland.

They played an almost 2 hour set, and their performances totally blew my mind! I've never experienced such a high from live music before. I think they are the best live band I've ever seen, they even blew my cold away! Their performance was energetic, passionate, lively, and totally out of this world. The drummer was obviously from another planet - the amount of energy and movement he put into drum playing was phenomenal. There are four professional cellists who manage to show that heavy metal music is just as valid an art form as any other type of music. There were no singers in the show, purely instrumental, and it lacked nothing.

The band were called back with 3 standing ovations. The Dublin crowd refused to let them leave and chanted "we want more". The first time they came back and performed another 3 songs. Then left and the crowd still wanted more. So they came back and played another 2 songs, with a look of disbelief on their faces. But that wasn't enough and we called them back for one more song and made them play until they all looked like they would faint from exhaustion! The crowd clapped and cheered for the longest I've ever seen anyone clap a band, and Apocalyptica left the stage looking totally exhilarated and mind blown themselves!

When they come back to Ireland I am going to drag everyone I know to their gig so that they can experience this band live for themselves. As amazing as their albums are, they do no justice to the buzz of the live gig.










6 comments:

  1. OMG! I was talking to you after! I was the blonde chick with her tongue peirced! Hows yours doing? how totally random...

    I know this is going to sound so band... but I would have had sex with him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, yes I remember you. Did you get home ok?

    My tongue is really swollen now and I cant talk the best, or eat. lol. Ah well.

    You would have had sex with who? The guy from Lacrimus Profundere? I think he was hoping for a bit of something from someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got home fine, just caught the bus!

    did you go to Dorans?

    yes him... I think he was, or he was just drunk and bored, I wish I'd gone to fibbers after... but alas I had to get home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He seemed quite happy afterwards, I went with Apocalyptica afterwards to 2 pubs and both Perttu and I and the lead singer from LP had a chat for a while. He was quite pleasent (the chap from LP that is- Perrtu is always pleasent) and he and the rest of LP ended up hugging both myself and my girlfriend saying farewells when the tour ended there in Dublin that night. Great band, great fans, great night!
    Tone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Im so jealous. Id love to go out with Apocalyptica for the night! Pertu seems like a lovely guy. He added me as a friend on facebook after reading my review. lol.

    ReplyDelete