Wednesday 6 June 2007

The answer we've been waiting for..

Yesterday the principal from Jimmie's school phoned to tell me whether or not they would keep Jimmies place open for him if we took him out of school from January to August next year for our big trip. It was good news! It took him almost one month to get back to me, but he had to find out whether they would still receive funding for Jimmie whilst he was gone. And they will, because he will be registering in the September, so its all cool. He also told me that it was not a legal requirement for children to be in school, as long as they are provided with an education. Well, having home educated our children, I already knew this, but was happy to hear a principal that is still willing to say it, since all the controversy recently about de-registering in this country. He said that nearer the time I should go into the school to see him and they would give me all the topics that Jimmie would be covering and talk about what he needs to keep up with etc. He seemed very helpful, and completely positive about the educational benefits of taking such a trip. So its all go, we can officially start to plan!

7 comments:

  1. ooooh isn't it exciting !!
    I'm so in awe . . . . watching this space eagerly !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great!! I can't wait for you to be here in CA, hehe!!! Let me know if you need any help in the planning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh brilliant! Have fun planning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats amazing! I wish our local principal was such a nice man! He is very upset that I am homeschooling Tink but I think its because the school told me they are doing everything for her and lo I get her and she learns more in one year at home than she did in four years at his school and I have the state test grade to prove it.

    Have fun on your trip! I cant imagine how great that would be to take such a long trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from Thailand. I am happy for you. It's amazing how even one week in a totally different environment provides so much education at many levels. culture, climate, food, routines, belief systems and pespectives. I am thinking seriously about taking a leaf out of your book next year. Pehaps I won't want to come back.

    Love Fungi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your plans take shape on here, I'm very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh Bree, i'm sooo pleased for you. That's fab news.

    Looking forward to hearing more about how plans are going

    Lin xx

    ReplyDelete