Monday 24 July 2006

I love food. Anyone who knows me, knows I love food. And I love learning more about real food. Proper food. Live food. In our family blog you can read about our attempts to grow our own vegetables in the back garden. But it doesn't seem right to clog up the family blog with photos of food, so I have created this new blog. My food blog.

Over the last year I have made attempts at improving the health and diet of the family. I have read so many books and searched through many sites. Our diet has changed drastically from what it was, but could still improve. Firstly I learnt about wheatgrass. I read a book about its health benefits and then set about growing and juicing our own. Then I started sprouting. We sprout all sorts of things... sunflower seeds, chick peas, lentils, clover, mustard, broccoli, aduki beans, anything that can be sprouted we will try. And the great thing about it is that the whole family like the sprouts. They turn a dull salad into something tasty and exciting! We now make our own bread from our own flour. I try to make bread daily but have been a bit slack with that lately. I'll talk about the benefits of wheatgrass, sprouting and milling at another time though.

Now we have a vegetable garden and have fresh salad to hand at any time. So far we have grown, lettuces, broccoli, pumpkins, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, nasturtiums, marigolds, calendula, herbs, peas, beans, sunflowers, parsnips, carrots, cabbage, courgettes. Some of these haven't matured enough to eat yet but they are well on their way. As well as raspberries, blackcurrants, blueberries and strawberries. I would love nothing more than to be completely self sufficient. But this is fun at the moment and its a huge journey of learning and growing.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, hey! Glad to see your new food blog, and the beautiful photos. You have an awesome garden, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i cant keep up with all this!! I am in blog overdrive. This food is fab and i love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh why am I drooling? You could put your hand to many things, healthy living cafe or perhaps day care nursery with healthy living options, hmmm! I am jealous. The home grown spuds I cooked for the kids yesterday from your garden were yummy. Some left in fridge in case you didn't notice - bit of mayo on them for lunch - oh and I made a fruit salad with yoghurt - bit of that left in fridge too

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops sorry, not anonymous, last comment was from Mum in case you didnt realise

    ps so is this one lol

    ReplyDelete