Wednesday 20 August 2008

Medical Insurance Dramas

Those of you who read my travel blog will remember that we had to come home from our 5 month trip 2 weeks early due to complications with my pregnancy. At the time the medical insurance company we were using were extremely unhelpful. I had been to A&E and been told by doctors that I must return to the UK for monitoring of baby and blood pressure medication for me (which is now starting to work thank goodness). But the travel insurance company (Insure and Go) wouldn't agree to send me home without a ton more doctor visits and forms to be signed. Dan spoke to them at the time and they said we could return home at our own cost and make the claim for reimbursement from them when we got home. So that is what we did.

However, on arriving home and sending in our claim we started to receive letters that hinted that because we hadn't made our claim in America we would not be entitled to any reimbursement. Well to cut a long story short, we received a lot of letters, a lot more emails, and various forms to fill in, all of which hinted at us trying to con money out of them, and that we wouldn't receive any compensation.

So you can imagine how amazed I was this morning when a cheque arrived in the post from Insure and Go, with a letter explaining that they have already paid the hospital expenses directly to the hospital in Oregon. But not only that, they included a cheque which covered the cost of prescriptions, motel stays in San Francisco, and the cost of 5 flights home, (despite them insisting at the time that they would only pay for me and one other person even though that meant leaving my kids behind in America!) Well, blow me down, they actually paid out. What a relief!

5 comments:

  1. cool!

    and a big relief I bet!

    enjoy the gig tonight!

    NG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great!! What a nice surprise for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's Great News!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's Great News!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! Obviously that visit to the travel insurance office with a large baseball bat did the trick.

    ReplyDelete